First ask your insurance agent, friends, neighbors and coworkers of references. Make a list of companies that sound promising.
Call several of the companies on the list and ask if their employees are trained and certified. Also ask if they participate in the Setup Quality Certification, and if they have state and local licenses required for your area.
Be sure to check with your local police department, state licensing agencies, and best business agencies about the situation of the companies you are considering.
Now is the time to narrow the list to three or four companies and contact them to arrange a visit from a representative. It is important that all family members are present for this visit. They need to understand how the system works and the representative has to know their family dynamics and habits to determine which components to use in the system.
You do not want a system with motion sensors, if your house is filled with pets.
What to ask when picking a home security representative?
Prepare a list of questions for each representative. Write down if necessary. Some of the questions are:
- How long has the company been in business?
- Does the company maintain required licenses and certificates?
- How many alarm systems of this type have been installed?
- Does the company use a computer from the list of certificate own surveillance (UL)?
- Surveillance operators, technology consultants and sales representatives trained in the operation and installation of equipment, how to design a security system of habit and how to handle problems troubleshooting?
- Is the monitoring station open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and if the company has a customer service department that is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
- Does the company have a backup monitoring center? If the main power center experience problems, even home security?
- Does the company have support in possession of layoffs, computer and phone lines if an error?
- What kind of background to the company running on prospective employees?
- What company employee identification is necessary for the performance?
- What kind of guarantees that the company offers?
- Contracts may be canceled if you change your mind?
- Does the company close the alarm panel to avoid monitoring the evolution of the companies during the contract period?
- What procedures exist to prevent false alarms you happen to make a mistake while the alarm system functioning? Can a password or other code used to identify you and all is well.
- What renovating my house may be necessary during and after installation?
Once a company is selected and the system is installed, the installer has to walk through the system the time it takes to make you feel comfortable operating. Many municipalities fine owners after three to five alarms.
You should not only examine these issues, but also to compare overall installation costs and monthly expenses for each security system at home and the corresponding controls.